In celebration of International Women’s Day (IWD) this week, we would like to share the inspirational stories of our female employees.
Interview with Laura Thomas (Head of Claims)
- Who inspired you to take up your career and why?
As a child my father was the inspiration for my career as a lawyer, expressing that the opportunities for women were more than the stereoptypical roles.
- When and how did you decide on your current career? Were there any other options that you considered before your current position?
During a car trip when I was very young, my father asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and, naturally, I said a ‘ballerina’. In that same car trip we talked about the many choices of career there were, and after a short while we were driving past a solicitors office and I said I would like to be a ‘solicitor’ - to which he responded ‘It’s hard work you know!’. He threw down the gauntlet and everything I did from that point on was to achieve that goal. I’ve never considered a career doing anything else.
- What advice would you give to someone just starting off on their career path to conveyancing?
The main things I’ve learnt are:
Celebrate all your successes, no matter how small. This inspires you and others.
Don’t compare yourself to others. My own journey to qualifying might have taken longer than most but I did it on my terms and at my pace, and succeeded. Don’t see yourself as being in competition with everyone around you. This can only be a distraction.
- Who inspires you most days and why?
My husband is my biggest supporter and my inspiration. His advice has always been to be myself, particularly when the going gets tough and like most, when I question my ability.
- This year’s International Women’s Day theme is #EachForEqual, collectively, how can we fight bias, broaden perceptions, improve situations and celebrate women's achievements?
The best way to fight bias and improve situations is for women to take a stand when they see they are not valued in their company and to take the leap to find a company that does. One of the great things about TitleSolv is there are women in senior roles including Claire Connolly, our managing director and Shoby Bala, our senior underwriter – both are a great inspiration!